About The Beauty of Ushaw
From the spring to early summer, Ushaw Historic House, Chapels and Gardens will host the International Garden Photographer of the Year (IGPOTY) Exhibition. Displayed in Ushaw’s magnificent formal gardens, the exhibition will include a stunning selection of around 40 winning competition entries.
To coincide with the exhibition, Ushaw, in collaboration with IGPOTY, is launching a special photography competition set in the grounds. We invite you to capture the glories of our gardens in the competition 'The Beauty of Ushaw'.
Perhaps you’ll capture a perfect springtime view of the formal gardens or be inspired by the blaze of colour provided by the renowned rhododendrons in May. Whatever the season and whatever the weather, Ushaw’s unique landscapes are sure to provide inspiration.
Additionally, a selection of winning entries from 'The Beauty of Ushaw' will be displayed at Ushaw on a separate occasion to the main IGPOTY exhibition (dates TBC) and on the Ushaw website.
Prizes & Why should I enter?
First adult prize:
By entering this category your image stands a chance to win 'The Beauty of Ushaw' 1st place title.
Second adult prize:
Third adult prize:
- You may not submit watermarked images with your name or website visible on the photo. Please do not frame your images with borders.
- Entrants may submit a maximum of 4 images per single entry token and a maximum of 6 images per portfolio entry token.
- For free-to-enter competitions you should enter 1 image per token given, upto a maximum of 8 images (8 tokens).
- Entrants' images must be .jpg or .jpeg format and of high enough quality.
- We recommend all images are output to 1920px on their longest side at 72 ppi. Any larger than this and you are supplying images bigger than they will be seen or used by IGPOTY judges; your files will take longer to upload and/or download to judges and viewers’ screens.
- The absolute maximum for each image must not be more than 7MB in file size and no more than 3000px on their longest side.
- All entrants must be able to supply a high-res image (300dpi) suitable for printing/exhibiting should the image be shortlisted. You may be asked for this when the time comes. We can help you with this if need be.
Full competition rules:
Please see the IGPOTY competition rules.
Only images captured at the site of Ushaw Historic House, Chapels and Gardens are valid. Entrants cannot win the overall IGPOTY prize.
All relevant images will be considered from any device as long as it meets the IGPOTY minimum size specification as listed above.
The award is free to enter, entry to Ushaw gardens is free, however car parking charges will apply. Adults only may enter (18+). Normal admission fees apply. Ushaw employees and volunteers are excluded from entry. Each entrant may upload a maximum of 8 images. For special prizes awarded by Ushaw, the winner must attend Ushaw to redeem, unless the prize can be reasonably posted. No cash alternative. Standard IGPOTY rules apply. Closing time for entries on the deadline date is midday (noon) GMT.
Only awarded images may be used by Ushaw to promote the competition/s and exhibition/s and Ushaw as a venue whilst on display at Ushaw Historic House, Chapels and Gardens in 2021.